Sunday, May 15, 2011

Homework #54: Independent Research B

When I first thought about this assignment, I felt that I wasn't going to be able to complete it because I do not have a belief system. I do not have a religion or a god or any system really. I just have thoughts and ideas about what could happen. However, in order to complete this assignment, I had to find something. So I chose the closest religion I could to my own beliefs (though not very close at all). This religion is Buddhism.

I went with Buddhism because I happen to believe in reincarnation. Over the course of my after-life Buddhism research I found that the common thought about reincarnation is typically wrong in the case of Buddhists. It doesn't mean a personality being reborn over and over again, it has more to do with one's karma over time. Karma is a type of cause and effect. In Buddhist culture, one's karma builds up over a lifetime and determines how the person will start off in the next life (Vairacchedika 32). To put it simply, it's as if you are lighting a row of candles each one being lit by the previous one. Each candle has a connection to the previous one, but it is still a different flame. This is not exactly how I believe it to work, but it is close to how I logically think the after death would happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment