Monday, May 23, 2011

Homework #57: Initial Thoughts on Prom

I am a puppet. When it comes to prom, I am completely controlled by the dominant social practices of our country when it comes to this special event. I have waited for it for a long time and as it draws closer in my final year of high school, I will grow even more excited. Since 9th grade, I have looked at dresses and tried on dresses knowing full well they wouldn't still be in stock by the time prom came around. However, it's a whole lot of fun to get a bunch of prom dresses and twirl around in them. When the event finally arrives, I'm sure it won't live up to my Hollywood-influenced expectations, but I still plan on having a great time and remembering it for years afterwards.

I think prom in general is more of a night for girls. Stereotypically, girls prepare more and longer in advance than boys do. It's also a night for them to feel like a princess at a ball, be waited on hand and foot by their date. In movies at least, the boy drives the girl, gets her drinks, brings a corsage, and pays for dinner before or during the event. I think that for my own prom, I wouldn't expect that much for any boy in my grade to do such things, but if I were to have a date, it would feel nice to have a little courtesy. It feels good to feel special sometimes.

In thoughts of preparation, girls also tend to be more aware of how they look, especially on the night they've waited for for so long. Therefore, it's custom for girls to spend at least 2 hours getting ready for the night. These things include shower, hair, make-up, shaving (and possible waxing), and jewelry. I fully plan on spending a whole day being pampered and styled in a spa-like setting the day before prom in order to be relaxed and ready to have a good time.

I am a puppet and I'm proud of it.

Questions:

When did prom become a system of hierarchy for teens?

Why do people decide to change their looks and personalities for prom night and what about prom makes it the ideal place to change?

What sparked/created the custom/ritual of prom and why do people consider it a rite of passage for every teenager in America?

No comments:

Post a Comment